Varicose veins are a disease that can affect even teenagers. From an early age you should take care of your veins and vessels and follow recommendations on how to prevent varicose veins.
Most of the time varicose veins affect people at the age of 20 to 40 years old and never go away. You can only stop the disease and slow down its development. Even surgery for varicose veins removal does not guarantee a complete recovery. An insidious disease can appear on any part of the body at the most inappropriate time.
We will talk about varicose veins prevention in the end of this article, and now we will focus on the methods of varicose veins treatment.[alert_box style=”alert alert-info fade in” close=”no” custom_class=””]How to treat varicose veins? This is what people ask themselves when they first discover a dilated vein on their body.[/alert_box]
They are willing to start treatment after they get the first varicose veins symptoms: heaviness and pain in the legs, swellings in the limbs in the evening time, muscle cramps at night, spider veins appearance, skin color changes. Many people go see a doctor after they have a constant pain in the calf muscles, a quick leg fatigue, a burning and itching sensation in the legs.
The main causes of varicose veins development are:
- Genetics. Children can inherit venous system disorders from their parents;
- Sedentary lifestyle or work;
- Physically demanding jobs or a constant load on the legs;
- Obesity. Overweight is a great load on the veins;
- Pregnancy and childbirth;
- Other vascular diseases.
Modern medicine has many methods of treating varicose veins and every method is unique. But it is important to understand that a treatment has to be prescribed by a doctor after a medical examination.
The main method of diagnosis of veins and vessels is ultrasound scan. An ultrasound scan is used by a doctor to monitor the blood flowing through veins, to determine the direction of the flow, to give the general analysis of veins and vessels. A patient is examined standing as well as lying.
The examination using the latest digital devices makes it possible even to hear the blood flowing through veins. The picture on the screen gives a detailed vessel structure and its diameter measurement.
Ultrasound examination allows to give an accurate diagnosis and to determine treatment strategies and tactics for most people having chronic venous diseases.
Varicose veins treatment
After giving a diagnosis and veins evaluation, a doctor prescribes a regimen. Moreover, varicose veins treatment tactics are particular for every patient.
In most cases varicose vein treatment tactics are the following:
- Compression therapy prescription. Compression garments should be worn from the first days the varicose veins are detected. They help to properly spread the pressure in the leg, to improve capillary blood flow, to reduce deformation of the venous wall and swellings in the legs. During treatment compression garments (stockings, tights, knee socks) should be put on early in the morning, and taken off only before going to bed.Compression garments are classified and differ by pressure at the ankle. The duration of wearing the compression garment and its compression level is determined by a doctor for every patient individually.Wearing compression garment every day reduces pooling of blood in the veins, swellings, spider veins appearance.
- Pharmacotherapy. Medication therapy plays a big role in varicose veins treatment. Venotonic drugs eliminate symptoms of the disease and prevent complications.The main indications for use of venotonics are the heaviness in the legs, discomfort, itchiness, burning, inflammation of the veins, edema, venous ulcers.In the early stages of varicose veins development these drugs prevent effectively new dilated veins and spider veins from appearing. In 90% of cases taking venotonics do not cause side effects. Only in rare cases a patient can have abdominal malaise, diarrhea, lightheadedness, insomnia.
The dosage and frequency of all medications are almost the same.The course of venotonics lasts for 30 days, no less than twice a year. If the disease is at the advanced stage, then taking medications is becoming less efficient. In this case the removal of the affected veins is required.
In addition to the treatment creams and gels are prescribed. These products quickly relieve tiredness and pain in the legs. However, to use cream as the only method of treatment is absolutely wrong! The effect of the cream doesn’t last longtime and it is required to reapply it. These products are additional to a comprehensive treatment of varicose veins.
- Sclerotherapy. This method of treatment is prescribed in most cases. It is prescribed to remove telangiectasias, as well as dilated veins.The chemical injected into the vein destroys its wall. After sclerotherapy a patient wears compression stockings that make vein walls stick together under the pressure.Undoubtedly the benefit of sclerotherapy is an excellent cosmetic effect, as well as the disappearance of the symptoms. If needed sclerotherapy can be repeated many times.
Sclerotherapy can be done only by a phlebologist or a vascular surgeon who did training in phlebology and regularly brings this method into practice.
- Endovenous Thermal Ablation. Treatment and removal of varicose veins with the help of steams at a high temperature and laser. The interventions are characterized by minor traumas, fast recovery, good cosmetic effect and do not affect the conditions and the quality of a patient’s life.The method implies inserting a special laser into the vessel clearance and spreading laser radiation through it. This results in closing a deformed vein from the inside.A patient receives a regional anesthesia and comes back home the same day. Contraindications are blood disorders, intolerance of regional anesthesia, skin problems, varicose veins complication.
- Surgery. Many surgical techniques are used to remove veins. A vein can be removed via punctures or cuts of the skin. The main goal of surgical intervention is the prevention of varicosis. After surgery compression therapy together with venotonic drugs are prescribed to a patient.
- Additional methods of treatment of chronic vascular diseases are phytotherapy, physiotherapy, gymnastics, physical therapy, leech therapy.
Prevention of varicose veins
Before and after varicose veins treatment you should follow the prevention rules.
- To move more, to stay seated or lying less.
- To do daily physical exercises to enhance blood flow.
- To take cold and hot showers for your legs every day. First, put warm water on your legs, then – cool water.
- To exclude greasy, salty or spicy food. To eat food high in B1, K, P, B9 vitamins.
- To give up smoking.
- To stop wearing high heels and tight clothes.
- To monitor constantly your weight. Overweight increases the load on the vessels.
The undoubted advantage and benefit of modern methods of varicose veins treatment are small traumas and no need for hospitalization.
Phlebologits from all over the world are in search of new efficient ways of treating varicose veins, and every year new modern prevention methods are developed.