Varicose veins prevention is the most effective way to slow down and to stop the progression of the disease or prevent its appearance.
The main goal of varicose veins prevention is to detect and eliminate causes that affect venous system. It can be a physical load on the legs or on the contrary a sedentary lifestyle.
According to the global phlebology statistics, from all people suffering from varicose veins:
- 60% are those who work standing the whole day;
- 30% are office employees who do not move much during the day;
- 10% are those who suffer from varicose veins for other reasons.
Statistical analysis makes it obvious that it is not recommended to stay without moving as well as on your feet for a long period of time.
Main methods of varicose veins prevention
Changing lifestyle means choosing the right treatment and prevention method. Unhealthy lifestyle is the most important factor that provokes varicose veins. The load on venous system has to be reduced.
It is not recommended to stay longtime on your feet or seated at work. In this position by the end of the work day legs tend to become swollen which shows a great load on the vessels and blood stasis.
Under the pressure of a big amount of blood flowing down veins become deflated and branchy, which results in the appearance of spider veins and more serious complications (deflated veins, trophic ulcers, thrombosis).
- Varicose veins prevention includes everyday walks after one hour of working time. If you are not able to walk long distances, you can do flexion and extension movements of ankles while walking.
- You should not stay seated with your legs crossed or with the support on one leg. By crossing your legs you can stop blood from flowing, it will be pooling in one part of the body. These habits usually lead to venous system disorders and delated veins.
- Struggling with overweight. Overweight puts pressure on vessels that become thinner with the time. You should eat well, follow diets from time to time and do some sports or gymnastics. If you have problems with weight, it is absolutely forbidden to lift weights of over 5 kilograms.
- You should stop wearing tight shoes and clothing. Tight jeans, skirts, leggings, compressing belts, socks and knee socks with the compressing elastics are prohibited. These garments prevent a free blood flow creating a pressure in venous system. High heels are also prohibited, they are the main cause of varicose veins with women.
- Therapeutic gymnastics. Physical activity in the mornings and after work. Even the most simple physical exercises for blood flow normalization prevent blood stasis.
Swimming in the pool, aqua-aerobics, cycling and skating help a lot to people suffering from varicose veins. Sport games (soccer, volley, basketball) are not recommended though. Physically demanding sports (powerlifting, tennis, fast run) are also prohibited.
- Taking vitamins. Vitamins normalize blood properties, strengthen vessels and dissolve thrombosis. To prevent varicose veins it is recommended to take vitamins P, C, B1, K, E.
- Healthy eating. A diet, as a method of preventing vascular disease, should be prescribed by a doctor. An individual needs vitamins, minerals, microelements, therefore our daily food should contain those elements. It is recommended to cleanse your body from toxins. Meals should be regular, 5-6 times a day, of small portions. The meal should contain fruits and vegetables. It is better to cut on eating bread and bakery products. Fresh juices and buckwheat and semolina porridges are good for your health. Eating blackberries (black currant, cherry, plum, mountain ash, cranberry).
- If you develop varicose veins, you should cut on drinking alcohol. You should stop drinking beer as it provokes liquid retention in the body, which increases the load on lower limbs.
- In the evenings, you should shower legs gradually reducing the water’s temperature. Cold and hot shower enhances blood circulation. After the water treatment you should wipe legs with a towel, and apply moisturizing cream after. Foot baths are good also. But remember! Hot foot baths are contraindicated for people who suffer from varicose veins.
- Relaxing massage for legs and back is good for your health.
- When you come home after work it is very recommended to lay on the back with your legs up. You can put a roller under your legs or put them on the back of the sofa. Blood will start flowing back to your heart.
- Take courses of venotonics, no less than twice a year. Taking medications reduces swellings, and relieves pain in the legs. Apply anti-varicose veins cream and gel.
- Wear compression stockings. It has been proved long time ago that wearing compression stockings daily reduces the risk of varicose veins development and eliminated swellings and pain in the legs.
- Do venous system examination once a year. You should do an ultrasound scan of veins and vessels and take an appointment with your doctor.
Preventing varicose veins at an early stage of varicose veins development helps to prevent pathology in the future.
Not following a simple advice on how to prevent varicose veins results in prolonged treatment and reduced quality of life.